The following requirements must be completed and dated the year of entry:
- Attend mandatory group advising
- Complete CPR Health Care Provider course
- Complete Standard “A” First Aid course
- Provide an up-to-date immunization record
- Obtain a Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Check dated within six (6) months of the beginning of the program (http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cr-cj/index-eng.htm)
- Complete Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) course
- Transferring, Lifting and Repositioning (TLR®) course
- Respiratory FIT Testing
Document deadlines can be found in the New Student Welcome Package and the University of Regina Undergraduate Calendar for completion deadlines.
- If you do not provide a criminal record check, vulnerable sector check (dated within six months prior to beginning the program), or evidence of successful completion of First Aid, CPR (dated to the year of acceptance into the program), TLR® and WHMIS courses, you will be excluded from clinical practice education. Exceptions to this deadline will be made for students who are under 18 years of age when they are admitted to the program as a criminal record check and vulnerable sector check cannot be issued to anyone under 18 years of age. Any students under 18 years of age at the time of admission are encouraged to contact their Academic Advisor to discuss their options.
- If you do not provide evidence of completion of FIT testing, or are unable to comply with this requirement, you may be at risk of not being able to complete required components of the nursing program.
- Specific immunizations may be required for certain clinical placements. If you refuse or are unable to comply with this requirement, you may be at risk for not being able to complete required components of the program.
- Completion of a CPR Health Care Provider renewal course is required every two years during your nursing studies, regardless of the length of time indicated by the provider on the card or certificate of completion.
- Completion of TLR® renewal course is required every three years during your studies.
- Submission of a second criminal record check and vulnerable sector check is required prior to beginning courses in the fourth year of the program.
Organizations that offer the above courses are noted below.
- Standard First Aid courses are available through University of Regina, St. John’s Ambulance and the Canadian Red Cross.
- CPR Health Care Provider courses are available through University of Regina, Heart and Stroke Foundation of Saskatchewan, St. John’s Ambulance and Canadian Red Cross.
- Transferring, Lifting and Repositioning (TLR®) courses are available through Saskatchewan Association for Safe Workplaces in Health.
You will receive further information on completing WHMIS training at a mandatory group advising session scheduled following your acceptance into the program.